1387: 26 Feb 2022 | Five Brand New EVs For Volvo USA by 2030
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 26th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don't have to.
Welcome to a new PATREON PRODUCER MARK ILIFF. If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
VOLVO DISCUSSES EV ROADMAP WITH DEALERS – AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
“Volvo Cars declared last year that it will be an all-electric brand by 2030. And last week in Miami, the automaker told its dealers how it plans to get there. The way forward? For starters, seven new and redesigned electrified models over the next few years, including five battery-electric vehicles and two plug-in hybrids.”
“The new-vehicle onslaught will begin rolling out as early as next year, the Swedish automaker told a closed-door audience of about 800 retailers from across North and South America, according to people who attended the event and asked not to be identified.”
“To pull it off, Volvo will begin ramping up plans to build more vehicles at its U.S. plant in Ridgeville, S.C., hiring more workers and introducing new models there”
“The five new battery-electric vehicles it revealed last week include both a large and a small crossover, a sedan, and two sporty wagon-like models that Volvo executives referred to as "activity vehicles," according to the people who attended the meeting.”
“The automaker also showed dealers redesigned versions of its S90 and XC90 plug-in hybrids. Volvo further charged up retailers with a forecast that should have significant profit ramifications for Volvo stores: The manufacturer said the new vehicle line will help retailers double their average store throughput to about 800 vehicles a year by 2025, dealers told Automotive News.”
CALIFORNIA LEADS THE NATION’S ZEV MARKET, SURPASSING 1 MILLION ELECTRIC VEHICLES SOLD
- As California’s booming zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) market continues to lead the nation, Governor Gavin Newsom lifted up the state surpassing 1 million plug-in electric cars, pickup trucks, SUVs and motorcycles sold in California – more than the total sales in the next 10 states combined. New data also show that California, with only 10 percent of the nation’s cars, now accounts for over 40 percent of all zero-emission cars in the country.
- The state has also implemented targeted policies to help more middle- and low-income consumers buy these ultra-clean vehicles. To date, over 30,000 low-income consumers have been assisted under the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, which will now only apply to affordably priced electric vehicles.
- Over the past 10 years, annual sales of plug-in electric vehicles in California have gone from just 7,000 in 2011 to more than a quarter of a million sold in 2021, making up more than 12 percent of all light-duty vehicle sales last year. California also leads the nation in all other zero-emission vehicle metrics, including the highest level of public funding, the largest EV market share percentage and the most extensive public charging infrastructure.
Original Source : https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/02/25/california-leads-the-nations-zev-market-surpassing-1-million-electric-vehicles-sold/
RIVIAN "ABSOLUTELY MAKING PROGRESS" ON PRODUCTION RAMP-UP: CEO
- Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe said the EV startup is making progress in the increase of production of electric vehicles at its plant in Normal, Illinois. The executive delivered remarks about the production ramp-up during a Wolfe Research conference on February 24.
- In a move to boost output, the CEO said Rivian idled the plant for the first 10 days of January to make changes on the production lines.
- During the conference, RJ Scaringe also responded to a question about how big Rivian could become by 2030. As reported by Reuters, he said the company is aiming to take 10% share in the EV market.
- As things stand at the moment, the main obstacle in Rivian's path is the production capacity. In January, the company was building around 200 vehicles per week, which is nowhere near enough to satisfy the existing demand in a reasonable amount of time. As of December 15, 2021, Rivian had about 71,000 preorders for the R1T and R1S in the US and Canada.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/569904/rivian-making-progress-production-ramp
FARADAY FUTURE IS PREPARING TO ACTUALLY SELL ITS FF 91
- Despite a litany of financial struggles and botched factory plans, Faraday Future has built its first production-intent car. This week, the EV startup unveiled the FF 91 at its Hanford, California-based plant, and announced it would begin production in Q3 of 2022. Since the best-laid plans of Faraday Future often go haywire, we won't hold our breath for the time being.
- Faraday Future’s flagship car is intended to be an “ultra-luxury EV” that can compete with the likes of Jaguar, Tesla, Polestar and other brands. It has three motors, which means that at least in terms of power, it would beat out even the newer Tesla models (except for the Cybertruck) and ostensibly be in the same league as Audi’s E-tron crossover. The system horsepower is a jaw-dropping 1050, and it can go from 0 to 60 mph in 2.39 seconds. The seats are zero gravity (meaning they recline in a fashion that makes you feel weightless) and ventilated. They also double as massage chairs.
- Drivers who can’t wait to join in on Faraday’s vision of a future can reserve an FF 91 now. There’s a waitlist to join the FF 91 Futurist Alliance (which costs $5,000 but guarantees you a priority reservation), but you can still pay $1,500 for a standard reservation.
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/faraday-future-unveils-first-production-intent-ev-214047024.html
TESLA MAY STILL OFFER ROUND STEERING WHEEL AS YOKE ALTERNATIVE
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/570040/tesla-may-offer-round-steeringwheel/
JEEP HAS A BIG SURPRISE FOR FORD, GM AND RIVIAN
Original Source : https://www.thestreet.com/investing/jeep-has-a-big-surprise-for-ford-gm-and-rivian
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS AT OR NEAR TOP OF MANY CONDO COMMUNITY WISH LISTS
Original Source : https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/article258731938.html
A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERY - ELECTRIC & HYBRID VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL
Original Source : https://www.electrichybridvehicletechnology.com/features/a-short-history-of-the-electric-vehicle-battery.html
THE ELECTRIC CAR WAS A MISSED OPPORTUNITY OVER 100 YEARS AGO
Original Source : https://historyofyesterday.com/the-electric-car-was-a-missed-opportunity-over-100-years-ago-d2312066a7d5
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What's the best looking EV on the market right now?
Email me any feedback to: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK