146: SIBO Sisters and Hashi Posse Unite — It’s Phoebe Lapine!
Phoebe Lapine is a food and health writer, gluten-free chef, culinary instructor, recipe developer, wellness blogger, Hashimoto's advocate and speaker, and the voice behind the award-winning blog Feed Me Phoebe. Named by Women’s Health Magazine as the top nutrition read of 2017, Phoebe’s debut memoir, The Wellness Project, chronicles her journey with the autoimmune disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. She is the host of the SIBO Made Simple podcast and author of the new book by the same name which helps those newly diagnosed or chronically fighting small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Phoebe’s work has appeared in Food & Wine, Marie Claire, SELF, Glamour, Cosmopolitan and Mind Body Green, who named her one of 100 Women to Watch in Wellness. She was born and raised in NYC — where she continues to live and eat.
Tune in as Phoebe shares:
- how she was first diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- how her health has impacted her relationship with food
- how much work it takes to be well, especially when one is impacted by chronic illness
- what SIBO is, and how she was diagnosed
- how the symptoms of SIBO can manifest in the body
- about the state of SIBO research and clinical practice
- what it was like to humble herself with her own advice after writing The Wellness Project
- how big a role stress can play as a root cause in chronic illness
- about the close correlation between IBS, SIBO, and autoimmune disease
- what a low-FODMAP diet is all about
- how she accesses and optimizes her own wellness
- what she thinks the next frontier of gut health will be