741 - How Stress Affects Your Memory
Get this episode ad-free when you join TLBC+ today: https://tlbc.co/join
In this episode, we look at how stress affects your memory. Get excited, because this is Tiny Leaps, Big Changes.
Welcome to another episode of Tiny Leaps, Big Changes where I share research-backed strategies you can use, to get more out of your life. My name is Gregg Clunis.
Martina Piefke and Katharina Glienke published a paper in 2017 titled The Effects of Stress on Prospective Memory: A Systematic Review where they look at the effects of stress on what’s called prospective memory.
- Prospective memory is defined as the ability to remember to carry out intended actions in the future
- So basically…
What They Found:
“The present review demonstrates that a short acute stressor may have enhancing effects on PM in healthy humans, depending on the characteristics of the stressor and the type of PM.”
- According to the study, time-based PM, that is, things that you have a limited amount of time to carry out, are more vulnerable to the negative effects of stress.
- Event-based PM is less vulnerable.
- They believe this may be due to the increased cognitive load required for time-based PM.
- It’s worth noting that they found the opposite reaction in people suffering from PTSD
- So what’s the point here?
- Well, this study shows that there can be positive effects of acute stressors in life.
- This particular study shows that short-lived acute stress can improve memory in relationship to the future, but it implies that there are even more benefits to it
- Don’t be afraid of stress
- Don’t give in to the flight part of the fight or flight response
- Stress can be beneficial in the right circumstances and leaning in to it can actually improve your results and performance
- Maybe there is an argument to be made to use stress as a superpower at times
- Obviously chronic stress and extreme stress are different subjects. Like all things, stress isn’t always good or bad. Try embracing it from time to time.
Join The Beta: https://tlbc.co/beta
Hosted By: Gregg Clunis | https://www.instagram.com/greggclunis/