Old Pod, New Context -- Re-release of Ep 191: Proving Terroir is Real with BiomeMakers
In light of new research and the Terroir Seminar that I did with Laura Catena, Fernando Buscema, and Jane Anson, I thought it would be really helpful to re-release this show and draw your attention to it. BiomeMakers had answered many the questions that terroir seminar addressed, and that the Catena Institute's paper elaborated upon. I encourage you to listen and see how, even 4.5 years ago, we were on the trail of figuring out some vital things about terroir (and what winemaking can do to it).
Here are the original show notes:
Is terroir a concept concocted by the French to hide flaws, as some suggest? Or is it a real thing that can be tasted and measured? John Dimos from Biome Makers and Wine Seq has a tool that resolves the question. In this nerdy, fascinating podcast we dig into the details and provide solid answers to the questions below! I never thought we'd see this in our lifetimes, but here we are!
1. What is it?! John tells us the premise of Biome Makers and how it's an affordable and viable premise now vs 5 years ago
- Why people have denied the presence of "terroir" in wine
- How Biome Makers changed the game on the notion of terroir
- How soil variation impacts on grapes
- The effect of the biomes v chemicals from winemaking in the final wine?
- Who is this tool for and how will they use it?
- Given that terroir is a real thing and that it CAN be detected in many wines, why isn't expressed in all wine (or food for that matter)?
- How is this new tool going to change wine growing going forward?
- Will it empower people to take more "risks" on farming organically?
- Does this steal the "art" from grape growing/winemaking?
Thanks for our sponsors this week:
Wine Access: Access to the best wines for the best prices! For 15% off your next order, go to www.wineaccess.com/normal
If you think our podcast is worth the price of a bottle or two of wine a year, please become a member of Patreon... you'll get even more great content, live interactions and classes!
To register for an AWESOME, LIVE WFNP class with Elizabeth go to: www.winefornormalpeople.com/classes