Backstory — Xmas
Christmas is often abbreviate as Xmas, but why? Why does X make a suitable abbreviation, and why does Christmas need abbreviating at all? To find the answers, we'll have to go back to the earliest days of Christianity, and and explore the world of symbology and word origins.
Thank you to Mignon Fogarty, from Grammar Girl for joining me in this episode!
Music in this episode
- "Golden Hour" — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
- "Prelude No. 11" — Chris Zabrieski, via Free Music Archive
- "Silent Night" — ZakharValaha, via Pixabay
- "Wish Background" — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
Share a Christmas memory on the podcast! Just record a voice memo into your phone and send it to email@example.com. Keep it reasonably short, clean and family friendly, and be sure to say your name and where you're from.
Keep in touch
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ChristmasPastPodcast
- Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/173778110150282
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/XmasPastPodcast
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/christmaspastofficial/