Eliminating Ocean Plastic with Mimi Ausland
The United Nations Environmental Program recently estimated that "for every square mile of ocean" there are about "46,000 pieces of plastic."
Many of us have seen the truly sobering videos and photos of the Pacific garbage patch, which is twice the size of Texas. To help us understand the thorny problem that is plastic pollution in our oceans, we're chatting with Mimi Ausland, a passionate activist and founder of Free the Ocean, an organization dedicated to getting plastics out of our oceans.
Episode Show Notes:
- Learn more about Free the Ocean on their website and Instagram.
- The Free Rice project's click-to-give model was an inspiration for Mimi in starting Free the Oceans.
- Mimi works closely with Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii to remove plastic from the ocean.
- Need another reason to care about ocean health? The majority of our planets oxygen comes from marine plants!
- Mimi is a fan of compost tumblers
- We discussed this fascinating story of how Bay Area green waste becomes valuable compost for farms and wineries.
- Mimi's go-to karaoke song is "Love Story" by Taylor Swift.