Episode 208: How to Have Fertility Preservation Conversations With Your Patients
Talking to patients about how their cancer and treatment affects their fertility can be challenging and complicated for oncology nurses, but we owe it to our patients to have those conversations. Megan Solinger, MHS, MA, OPN-CG, director of service and care delivery at the Ulman Foundation in Baltimore, MD, joins Stephanie Jardine, BSN, RN, oncology clinical specialist at ONS, to offer guidance, ideas, and advice that will prepare you to confidently approach those essential and ethical discussions. Megan presented the topic at the 47th Annual ONS Congress® in Anaheim, CA, on April 28, 2022.
Music Credit: "Fireflies and Stardust" by Kevin MacLeod
Licensed under Creative Commons by Attribution 3.0
Earn 0.5 contact hours of nursing continuing professional development (NCPD) by listening to the full recording and completing an evaluation at myoutcomes.ons.org by May 20, 2024. The planners and faculty for this episode have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies to disclose. ONS is accredited as a provider of NCPD by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Complete this evaluation for free NCPD.
- Learn more about Megan’s session at ONS Congress, and watch it on-demand from May 23–June 30, 2022, to earn an additional 1.25 NCPD contact hours.
- Fertility Preservation ONS Huddle Card™
- Previous Oncology Nursing Podcast episodes about patient education
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing and Oncology Nursing Forum articles about fertility and preservation
- Alliance for Fertility Preservation’s Fertility Scout database
- American Society of Clinical Oncology guidelines on fertility preservation
- ECHO Training Program
- Oncofertility Consortium at Northwestern University
- Take CHARGE
To discuss the information in this episode with other oncology nurses, visit the ONS Communities.
To provide feedback or otherwise reach ONS about the podcast, email pubONSVoice@ons.org.