#119 How to Stay True to Yourself While in a Leadership Role with Anjana Sivakumar
Have you ever felt a disconnect between who you are outside of work and who you are at the workplace? Have you ever felt like you can’t be with the politics and the way restructuring and tough decisions are made inside your organizations?
Today Deepa speaks with Anjana Sivakumar about authentic Leadership. Anjana has real tactical advice that you can start to use immediately. These are things they don’t teach you in business school!
Anjana’s Tips for Authentic Leadership:
- Authentic Leadership starts with knowing who you are and having a good sense of your personal values. You have to feel comfortable in your own skin. And this comes across in every role you have - be it Executive, parent or child, volunteer.
- How to stay true to yourself while dealing with sensitive information at work and dealing with colleagues/friends.
- Don’t feel like you need to stay in a rigid box in a Leadership role. Bring your personality to the role.
- Being Authentic builds trust and connection. Acknowledge the uncomfortable or hard things.
- Don’t go easy and blame another person, own your mistakes. We lose a lot of time doing impression management and stressing over these situations!
- Communicate organizational changes and then listen to others as they go through their emotions.
We hope you liked this episode! Let us know - what’s hard about being authentic in your Leadership role? Do you feel comfortable enough to be human?
Please feel free to connect with Anjana and Deepa through LinkedIn to continue the conversation.
Anjana Sivakumar is a dynamic HR executive with over 20 years of experience across various industries. She has worked with C-suite and senior leaders in numerous global organizations, both large and small. Her experience spans various facets of HR, from talent and leadership development to operating model and organizational design to DEI strategy development and implementation.
Thanks for listening and stay cool!
Visit the show website at (http://www.meetmypotential.com)
Follow Deepa on LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/deepanatarajan/)